Going into a personal injury case is a situation for which you should be prepared. Being prepared definitely includes having the right personal injury lawyer. If you don’t have the right lawyer, it may not matter how “good” your case is or how prepared you are otherwise. To choose the right lawyer, ask them questions and get to know them a bit. This doesn’t mean grilling them about every little detail in their life. It’s more about asking the questions that will help you understand if they are the best person for the job.
In this article, we’ll discuss the questions you should ask your injury lawyer before you hire him or her. If you’ve been injured as a result of someone else’s negligence, don’t wait to reach out to an attorney. Call or text our accident lawyers at 602-345-1818 to set up a free initial consultation, where we will review your case at no charge to you. You may also fill out our online form to request your free consultation here.
What Do You Charge for Your Services?
Of course, in the initial meetings, it’s important to get down to brass tacks. How much you’ll pay for your attorney’s services is a big consideration. Most personal injury lawyers charge a contingency fee, which means that you won’t have to pay anything unless you win a judgment or settlement and recover damages. Your lawyer will take a percentage of the money you’re awarded following the resolution. That percentage will typically range from 20% to 40%. Be sure to ask what the percentage is during your initial meeting.
At Impact Legal, you won’t pay any fees until we win a settlement or jury verdict, and your initial consultation is always free.
How Many Cases Like Mine Have You Had?
Get to know your lawyer’s experience level. Having an injury lawyer who has handled cases similar to yours before is important. You don’t want a real estate attorney or estate lawyer handling your car accident case. An experienced car accident lawyer should take this type of case on. The experience they’ll have when communicating and negotiating with the insurance company or companies will make all the difference when it comes down to final numbers.
What Do You Think About My Case?
Many victims believe their cases are unbeatable. This isn’t always true. Despite injuries and evidence, the other side can come back just as strong. You need a lawyer to work hard for you and be honest with you throughout the entire process. A good lawyer won’t lie to you to get your case. One of the strengths of hiring a lawyer is that you get an expert, unbiased opinion who will give it to you straight. The reality is that sometimes the law or the specific facts of a case will throw in curveballs that may make a case extremely difficult. This doesn’t mean you should give up; it means that you should consult a lawyer who will look at the case for what it is so that you can go forward with good information and appropriate expectations. Every case is different and based on a unique set of facts. Your lawyer will be able to tell you what your chances are, discuss what your case may be worth financially, and advise you on the next steps – whether that is to go forward with your claim or not.
Do You Embrace Technology?
A large differentiator in the legal world today is technology. Is your lawyer barely able to send an email, or do you get regular updates via a quick email or text from your lawyer? Do you have to drive to a crowded downtown office to have a meeting with your car accident lawyer, or are you able to capitalize on technology and have virtual meetings no matter where you are? These things will make a big difference when your car accident case is ongoing.
What Is My Accident Settlement Worth?
After being injured in an accident, many people wonder how much their accident case is worth. The amount of money you may get from your accident settlement will depend on the specific facts of your case. Use our personal injury case calculator to better understand the maximum amount you may be able to recover after an injury. Several things may impact your accident settlement amount. Some questions your lawyer should ask include: What expenses have you incurred as a result of the accident? Have you suffered any emotional damages? Who was at fault? Did you have, or have you been accused of having, some responsibility for the accident?
Your lawyer should be able to discuss this with you and help you gather evidence to get to a fair and appropriate calculation, considering all past, current, and future losses you sustained or will sustain due to the accident.
Preparing for Your Initial Consultation
Being prepared will save a lot of time, which goes a long way in a personal injury case. Be sure to bring these key items to your first meeting:
Key Information to Bring:
- Name and address of any ambulatory services you may have used
- Name and address of the emergency room you visited
- Dates you visited the emergency room or were admitted to the hospital
- Names and business addresses of all of the medical professionals who examined you
- Names of all parties involved in the accident
- Names and addresses of all people who witnessed the accident
- Dates you were absent from work due to your accident and injuries
- Names and contact information of any insurance adjuster you’ve spoken with about your accident
- A list of all people with whom you’ve discussed your accident
Key Documentation to Bring:
- The official accident report
- Copies of any eyewitness/written statements
- Photos or videos of the scene of your accident, property damage, any injuries you sustained (get photos of your injuries as soon as possible – as injuries heal over time, they may not “look” as bad as they are)
- A copy of your insurance policy
- Any medical or disability policies you may have either on your own or through an employer
- Any other policies which may include hospitalization, major medical, or veteran coverage
- Copies of all of your medical bills pertaining to your accident thus far
- Receipts for any expenses incurred by you as a result of your accident (car damage, rental car expenses, etc)
- Medical reports, including x-rays, MRIs, doctor’s reports, etc
To help you best prepare for your initial consultation and personal injury case as a whole, we’ve compiled these resources:
- Complete checklist of items to bring to your car accident lawyer consultation
- Steps to hiring a personal injury lawyer
- Accident case value calculator
On the resources above, you’ll find more questions to ask your personal injury lawyer during your first consultation. If you have additional questions about your specific case, be sure to give us a call or send us a text at 602-345-1818.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Our Accident Lawyers
We provide free, no-obligation initial case reviews and consultations for our clients. Schedule yours today to get your case reviewed by our experienced injury lawyers at Impact Legal. You can set it up by calling or texting 602-345-1818 or filling out our convenient and confidential online form.
The information provided on our blog and website is for general information purposes only. It is not intended to serve as legal advice. For legal advice about your specific situation, set up a call with us.