After a car accident, depending on your specific case, there could be a lot to learn and remember. It can be an overwhelming process for sure. At Impact Legal, we offer free initial consultations, which our clients have found to be an incredibly valuable asset. In this article, we'll discuss what to bring to your first meeting with your car accident lawyer so that you can make the most of your free legal consultation.
Bring This Information and Documentation to Your Meeting
After you've been injured, you'll want to collect all relevant information and documentation to bring to your initial meeting with your attorney. In the beginning, this will include quite a few key pieces of evidence that will be essential to the success of your case.
Key Information to Bring:
- Name and address of any ambulatory services you may have used
- Name and address of the emergency room you visited
- Dates you visited the emergency room or were admitted to the hospital
- Names and business addresses for all of the medical professionals who examined you
- Names of all parties involved in the accident
- Names and addresses of all people who witnessed the accident
- Dates you were absent from work due to your accident and injuries
- Names and contact information of any insurance adjuster you've spoken with about your accident
- A list of all people with whom you've discussed your accident
Key Documentation to Bring:
- The official accident report
- Copies of any eyewitness/written statements
- Photos or videos of the scene of your accident, property damage, any injuries you sustained (get photos of your injuries as soon as possible – as injuries heal over time, they may not “look” as bad as they are)
- A copy of your insurance policy
- Any medical or disability policies you may have either on your own or through an employer
- Any other policies which may include hospitalization, major medical, or veteran coverage
- Copies of all of your medical bills pertaining to your accident thus far
- Receipts for any expenses incurred by you as a result of your accident (car damage, rental car expenses, etc)
- Medical reports, including x-rays, MRIs, doctor's reports, etc
Accident Lawyer Tip: Give your attorney as much information about your case as possible, and be as honest as you can be. Never withhold information from your lawyer, as it could severely hurt your case, and your lawyer will likely find out anyway. Your lawyer is on your side to advise you of the best strategy available to you, so you want them to know everything you do.
Ask Your Car Accident Lawyer These Questions
Obtaining a lawyer to help you throughout this process is important, but hiring the right lawyer for you is even more important. Some questions to ask your lawyer during the first consultation include:
- What is your legal specialty? While general personal injury lawyers may be able to handle your car accident case, having a lawyer who handles car accident cases specifically will help you secure a more favorable outcome.
- Are you the person who will actually be working on my case? Big personal injury law firms will boast about their huge legal teams, but when it comes down to knowing anything about your case throughout the process, you'll usually get the runaround game, because the paralegal or legal assistant is probably handling your case versus the attorney you've spoken with. At Impact Legal, our accident lawyers handle your case from start to finish and will update you all along the way.
- What will the process of handling my case look like?
- How do you charge your clients? The two typical cost structures attorneys use are hourly and contingency. If you are unable to afford an hourly structure, consider hiring a lawyer who charges a contingency fee. This means you will only pay if you win the case. At Impact Legal, we promise you won't pay anything until you have a settlement or jury verdict.
- How long do you think it will take to sort out my case? Every case is different. Some take a few months, some take several months. There are quite a few factors to consider, and a definite timeline won't be possible to estimate, but your lawyer can give you a good general estimate. Depending on your case, your lawyer can walk you through what a reasonable timeline may look like.
- How can I improve the odds of success with my case? It doesn't stop at hiring an attorney. Depending on the facts of your case, there will be specific follow-up items that your lawyer will advise you on throughout the process.
Collect Necessary Information and Documentation During the Process
Throughout your case, you'll need to work with your attorney to gather new documentation and evidence. In some cases, this will include recurring medical bills and reports, any other relevant receipts (like home renovations or maintenance needed because of your injuries), information outlining lost wages, etc. It's essential to document all of the damages associated with your accident and injuries so that you can properly recover. Bills can add up quickly, so having an accurate report will make it easier for you and your attorney to calculate an appropriate and fair settlement. To understand what goes into calculating a personal injury settlement, check out our recent blog on the topic.
Your Initial Consultation Is Free at Impact Legal
At Impact Legal, our initial consultation is completely free of charge. During the consultation, we'll review all of the facts of your case in order to determine the legal options available to you. Don't settle for less than you deserve. Let our car accident lawyers fight for your recovery. We'll be with you every step of the way. Start the process today by scheduling your free online or in-person consultation by calling 602-345-1818 or filling out our convenient online form. It can be a scary process, but you don't have to face it alone.