After a car accident or injury, the decision to hire an injury lawyer can be a difficult one. Frustration and overwhelm are on high – you have so many questions, and you have no idea where to start. Do you hire a lawyer for a fender bender? What if you're at fault? What if you're uninsured or broke the law in some way? What if you were out of state? In this article, we'll answer these frequently asked questions and more. After reading this, we hope you have a clearer understanding of what you should do next.
If you've been hurt, reach out to our auto accident lawyers by text or call at 602-345-1818 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. You may not know what to do right now, but after you talk with our lawyers, you'll be on the right track. You have nothing to lose by reaching out to us – our consultations are completely free. You may fill out this convenient online form if that's more your style.
Do I Need a Lawyer to Handle My Accident Case?
Maybe or maybe not. It depends on the facts of your case, but it doesn't hurt to schedule a free consultation and case review. If you don't need a lawyer (that's often not as likely as the chance you need one), we'll let you know. There's no charge or obligation during our consultations.
What Are Some Signs I Should Hire a Lawyer?
There are several reasons why you should consider hiring a car accident lawyer. Having an attorney on your side throughout the process can help you in:
- Proving negligence
- Identifying and proving fault
- Increasing your compensation
- Protecting you from fault
- Protecting you from common insurance adjuster tactics to get you to settle for less
- Advising you on specifics with your case
- Communicating and negotiating with the insurance company and other involved parties
Insurance companies often try to pay as little out in accident settlements as possible. They'll likely stop at nothing to ensure you get the smallest settlement or nothing at all. Don't leave your recovery to chance. Have a lawyer on your side to ensure the insurance company is treating you right.
How Do I Know If the Insurance Company Is Giving Me the Runaround?
It's better to be safe than sorry here. If you have any uncertainty around the insurance company at all, it's smart to contact a lawyer. Some sure signs something is not right are:
- They delay. They keep requesting documentation one paper at a time. They should request all necessary documentation at one time. Repeated requests are a common delay tactic.
- They instantly deny a perfectly valid claim. This isn't right, and you can take legal action.
- They are repeatedly requesting unnecessary information and documentation, including intrusive and irrelevant medical records.
- They keep telling you that they don't yet have a decision.
- They keep requesting multiple statements from various people, including medical providers and property repair professionals.
- They are bringing up random laws and telling you what's legal and illegal
- They point to complex policy language as an attempt to confuse you.
- They switch insurance adjusters in the middle of your claim investigation.
- They delay the claim investigation entirely. If you hear no news for too long, it may be a sign that the insurance company is stalling.
If you've noticed any of this happening in your case, call an insurance lawyer as soon as possible.
Is It Useless to Hire a Lawyer If I'm the At-Fault Driver?
It is not useless to hire a lawyer if you feel you are at fault. In fact, this could be one of the biggest reasons you should consider hiring a lawyer. Are you getting liability pinned on you even though it wasn't your fault? That's also a huge reason to get a lawyer on your side immediately.
Even if you did contribute to the fault in the accident, you may still be entitled to some financial compensation. In Arizona and New Mexico, fault can be shared. Comparative fault allows at-fault drivers to receive some compensation after an accident; the compensation will be reduced by their percentage of fault.
What If I Was Issued a Ticket After the Car Accident?
If you were issued a ticket after an accident, it won't guarantee that you are at fault for the accident. In this case, you'll want to speak with a lawyer even if it's just a free consultation. Citations can add in some complexity, and every case is different. It's difficult to know how a ticket might impact the outcome of your car accident case without knowing the specifics.
Conclusion: Hiring a Lawyer Is Likely the Right Move
Hiring an auto accident attorney is advisable, especially if the fault of the accident is contested, or the insurance company is offering you a ridiculously low settlement. A lawyer will help establish fault, communicate and negotiate with insurance companies, and get you the compensation you need and deserve.
If you have been in an accident and need legal help, text or call us at 602-345-1818 for a free consultation. You can also fill out this online form. Don't go at this alone– we're here to support you.
The content on our website and blog is for general information purposes only. It is not intended to serve as legal advice. Every case is different, and we highly recommend that you consult one of our knowledgeable car accident attorneys about your specific situation.
We serve car accident clients in both Arizona and New Mexico. From Phoenix to Mesa and Santa Fe to Albuquerque and every county and city in between, calling Impact Legal's car accident lawyers is the right choice.