If you've been hurt in an accident or as the result of an intentional act, you need a personal injury lawyer in Phoenix, AZ who will fight for you. That's where Impact Legal comes in. We will work tirelessly to protect your rights, tell your story, and get you the legal remedy you need and deserve. If the bills are piling up, there's uncertainty when you will be able to return to work, you're suffering from physical or emotional pain, or the insurance company is giving you the runaround, call or text us today to set up a free initial consultation. You can reach us at 602-345-1818, or by filling out our quick and convenient online form.
Types of Damages Available After an Injury
Your damages will depend on the facts of your case, sometimes including both special and general damages. Special damages (also called economic damages) include monetary values, like hospital bills, prescription costs, and property repair expenses. General damages (also called non-economic damages) include non-monetary considerations, like pain and suffering, emotional trauma, and severe physical pain. While special damages are typically easy to put into monetary terms, it's more difficult to calculate an amount for general damages. Your personal injury lawyer in Arizona will help you calculate your general damages to ensure you are taken care of to the greatest extent possible. Depending on your case, your damages may include:
- Medical bills (current and future)
- Lost wages and loss of earning capacity
- Rehabilitation costs
- Prescription costs
- Home renovation costs associated with your injuries (example: installing a wheelchair ramp in your home)
- Property damage repair
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of companionship
- Anxiety and depression
Sometimes, punitive damages are also awarded, though less often than special and general damages. Punitive damages are decided by the court in an effort to discourage behavior and actions that are especially harmful to society.
How to Get the Compensation You Deserve
The first step to getting the compensation you deserve in your personal injury case is hiring the right injury lawyer. A lawyer will be by your side from the beginning to the end, ensuring your rights are fully protected. Here are some additional steps you can take to make sure your case is protected:
- Get medical attention as soon as possible (and as consistently as you need to) - You may not feel injured immediately after an accident, but adrenaline often masks pain and other symptoms of injuries, which can be severe.
- Preserve evidence - Take photos on the scene of an accident, if possible. Photograph injuries, damage to your vehicle, surrounding damaged items (like signs, guardrails, road), and secure all available information (license plate numbers, eye witness contact information, etc). The more evidence you can preserve the better. Review our car accident checklist, which goes in-depth on the actions you should take following an auto accident.
- Don't take just any number the insurance company throws at you - An initial number may sound good, but when you calculate all of your current and future damages, it may not even cover a portion of your losses. Don't just settle, let your personal injury lawyer negotiate for you.
- Be aware of deadlines - Depending on your specific type of case, you will have a statute of limitations to adhere to. A common tactic deployed by insurance companies is to keep you busy or waiting until the statute of limitation expires on your case, meaning that even if the insurance company won't give you a fair settlement, if the deadline passes on filing a personal injury lawsuit, you've likely missed your opportunity to file. Your lawyer will be aware of the relevant deadlines and make sure you don't miss them.
- Don't post the details of your case on the internet - Often the first place an insurance company looks is on your social media channels. Posting the details of your case or accident photos online can be highly detrimental to your case.
- Calculate all of your damages - You'll want to make sure you calculate all general and special damages, including estimated future losses. Your lawyer will help you get to the final number.
Consulting with a Personal Injury Lawyer
Having a personal injury lawyer on your side is your best chance to get the fairest and most appropriate compensation. The insurance company's goal is to offer you the lowest possible settlement. Fortunately, many plaintiffs have very limited experience filing and negotiating insurance claims after an automobile accident. That's where Impact Legal comes in. We will provide the experience you need to get the settlement that will help you get your life back on track. Having a skilled lawyer on your team will provide you with a lot of benefits including:
- Negotiating and communicating back and forth with the other side, which may include letters, email, phone calls, meetings, hearings, etc.
- Collecting evidence to strengthen your case, including any necessary documentation and support from obtaining official police reports and medical records to reconstructing accident scenes and obtaining expert witness testimony, etc.
- Building the legal strategy to present to the insurance company or the court, if necessary.
- Determining whether to settle or go to court. If the other side refuses to provide a fair and appropriate settlement, it may be best to take it to the court to decide. Your lawyer will advise you of the right choice based on the facts of your case and their experience with similar cases.
Contact Our Personal Injury Lawyers Near Phoenix
If you've been injured, don't suffer alone. Get our team at Legal Impact on your side today. We will fight for you from the first consultation to the final steps of your case, updating you every step of the way. To schedule an initial consultation with our expert and trusted personal injury lawyers in Phoenix, AZ, call or text us at 602-345-1818. We will review the facts of your case to advise you on the legal options that may be available to you.