If you’ve been injured in an accident, don’t wait on the sidelines, hoping for a resolution to fall into your lap. Consult a personal injury lawyer in Santa Fe, NM today to take the first step in getting the legal justice and compensation you deserve. Impact Legal will fight to protect your rights every step of the way to get you back on the road to financial recovery. If you’re experiencing the challenges that happen after an accident – compounding bills, the inability to work, uncertainty about the future, etc – call or text our experienced injury lawyers today at 602-345-1818 to schedule a free initial consultation. You can also fill out our quick and easy online form, and we will reach out to you.
Legal Compensation After an Accident
Your legal remedy will depend on your specific case. Your total settlement may include a combination of general and special damages. Special damages are the most straightforward to calculate. These damages are also referred to as “economic damages” and include things like medical bills (current and future), lost wages, and car repair bills. General damages include injuries that are less straightforward in calculation in that they are difficult to attach a numerical value to. These damages are also called “non-economic damages” and include things like pain and suffering, anxiety and depression, emotional trauma, etc. While general damages aren’t as simple to calculate, an experienced lawyer will help you determine yours. A list of damages that may be included in your total compensation includes:
- Medical bills (current and future)
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Medication costs
- Home renovations associated with your injury
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Severe physical pain
- Anxiety and depression
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Getting the Amount You Deserve
The legal process in getting the amount of compensation you need and deserve will depend on your case, however, it will, generally, have a few key steps. To ensure you get the best possible outcome, there are several things you can do to protect your case.
Talk to a Personal Attorney
Consulting a lawyer is a recommended first step in your personal injury case. A lawyer will be experienced in dealing with the insurance company, knowing all of the tips and tricks adjusters use. If you are experiencing the runaround from the insurance company, don’t delay. Call a lawyer to help you as soon as possible.
Documentation & Other Forms Evidence
Depending on your case, there could be several forms of evidence that may help you get a fair and appropriate legal remedy. Some examples of evidence your lawyer can help you gather and review include:
- Official police reports
- Traffic data
- Historical accident data
- Expert statements
- Reconstruction of the accident scene
- Photographs and video
The more evidence you can obtain, the better. From the very beginning, think about how you can preserve any supporting evidence. Take photographs of your property damage and any physical injuries. Even if you feel fine following an accident, going to the doctor can be a pivotal decision for your health and your case. Document any health changes you may feel over the following days and weeks, and if need be, continue to see a doctor. Be sure to collect all relevant expenses, so you can calculate them into your damages.
The Legal Strategy
Compiling the evidence into a compelling legal strategy is vital to the success of your case. Your lawyer will develop this and send it to the other side to try to persuade them to agree to a settlement offer that covers the damages you sustained. Typically, your attorney will send a letter to the opposing side outlining your case with supporting evidence and documentation. Often, a settlement can be reached before further legal action is taken. However, if the other side isn’t playing fair, your personal injury lawyer may recommend taking your case to court to try to get you a fair and appropriate settlement.
Helping Your Case
Protecting your case is an important part of the process. Some things you can do to ensure the best possible outcome for you are:
- Get medical attention as early as you can (and continue to see a doctor if needed) – You may not feel hurt following an accident, but adrenaline often masks symptoms, like pain, which may signify a serious injury. Getting medical attention is recommended for both your health and legal case.
- Preserve evidence – If it’s possible and safe to do so, take photos of the accident scene. Document your injuries, damage to your vehicle, surrounding damaged items (like signs, guardrails, road), and get any information you may need down the road (license plate numbers, eye witness contact information, etc). The more evidence you can preserve the better it will be for your case.
- Don’t settle on your settlement – The beginning number during insurance negotiations may sound good, but when you add up all of your current and future losses, it may not even cover a portion of your damages. Don’t just settle on the first number the insurance company gives you, let your personal injury lawyer negotiate for the amount you deserve.
- Keep watch on the deadlines – You’ll want to ensure you know about any deadlines that may impact your case. For car accident cases, there will be a statute of limitations. A common tactic deployed by insurance companies is to keep you distracted or keep you waiting for a resolution until the statute of limitation expires on your case, meaning that even if the insurance company won’t give you a fair settlement, if the deadline passes on filing your personal injury lawsuit, you’ve likely missed your opportunity to file. Your lawyer will know about any deadlines and keep track of them so you don’t miss any important ones, losing your chance at a fair settlement.
- Stay off the internet – Insurance companies look at social media. Posting pictures or details about your accident online could harm your chance for a fair settlement.
- Add up all of your losses – Keep track of every expense associated with your accident and injuries (both special and general damages). Your lawyer will help you get to a final number that will cover your losses and help make you “whole” again.
Call or Text Our Personal Injury Lawyers in New Mexico Today
Don’t do this alone. We’re here to protect you. Our goal is to get you back on your feet with the legal justice you deserve as quickly as possible. We’ll keep you updated on the progress from the first point of contact. To schedule an initial free consultation, call or text Impact Legal at 602-345-1818. You can also fill out our convenient online form, and we will reach out to you to find a consultation time that works. Don’t wait for justice and repair any longer. We’re waiting for your call or text today.